Clinically supported advice on substance use management for healthcare providers
Peer-to-peer consultation from physicians, clinical pharmacists, and nurses with special expertise in substance use evaluation and management.
We advise on all aspects of substance use management, including:
- Assessment and treatment of opioid, alcohol, and other substance use disorders
- Approaches to suspected misuse, abuse, or diversion of prescribed opioids
- Methods to simplify opioid-based pain regimens to reduce risk of misuse and toxicity
- Urine toxicology testing – when to use it and what it means
- Use of buprenorphine and the role of methadone maintenance
- Withdrawal management for opioids, alcohol, and other CNS depressants
- Harm reduction strategies and overdose prevention
- Managing substance use in special populations (pregnancy, HIV, hepatitis)
- Productive ways of discussing known or suspected addiction with patients
Advice for providers from national experts
The CCC’s consultation on HIV/AIDS and exposure management has helped guide clinicians for more than 20 years. That same expert consultation is now available for decision-making around substance use management, including the treatment of complex patients with addiction, chronic pain, and behavioral health issues; considerations around medication regimens and the risk of overdose; and caring for and supporting persons living with or at risk for HIV.
Our clinical consultation staff stays abreast of established guidelines and the latest medical literature in a rapidly evolving regulatory environment to ensure the advice you receive is up-to-date and clinically supported.
To download and print a flyer of our services, click here.